Infertility is more common than most people might think. Researchers estimate about 1 in every 6 couples is affected by infertility. Even more surprising is that about 1 in every 3 cases is due to male fertility problems alone. The good news is that there are several natural remedies to boost the chances of conceiving. Fertility can be improved naturally with a healthy lifestyle, nutritious diet, and supplements.
Here are the most effective ways for men to boost fertility and increase sperm count.
What is Male Infertility?
Male infertility refers to an issue in the reproductive system of a man, making him unable to impregnate his female partner. Poor quality of sperm cells is the most common cause of male infertility. Below are some of the other causes of male infertility:
- Erectile dysfunction, where men are unable to maintain or develop an erection during intercourse.
- Low levels of the male sex hormone- testosterone.
- Inflammation or infection from a sexually transmitted disease that stops the flow of semen.
- Genetic diseases like hemochromatosis or cystic fibrosis.
- Sperm may be abnormally shaped, immature, or unable to swim, leading to a low sperm count.
- Immune problems, liver or kidney disease, and pituitary gland or hormone problems.
Male infertility can have several causes and may depend on general fitness, health, genetics, dietary contaminants, and diseases. Some nutrients and food are associated with significant fertility benefits. Read on to learn how to increase sperm motility with the help of nutrition and exercise.
Foods to Increase Sperm Count
Foods that can help to improve motility and sperm count include the following:
- Vegetables and Fruits: Fresh fruits and vegetables have higher concentrations of antioxidants and vitamins which can improve sperm count and protect the cells from damage.
- Fish: Fish contains high content of omega-3 fatty acids, which improves sperm count.
- Walnuts: According to a study in the journal Biology of Reproduction, eating around 2 handfuls of walnuts a day increases sperm count in young men.
The following supplements can improve male fertility issues and sperm count as well:
- D-aspartic acid (D-CAA): This supplement helps with hormonal issues causing low sperm count. Taking this acid as a supplement can raise testosterone levels.
- Vitamin C: This powerful antioxidant can boost the immune system and protect the cells from oxidative stress. A study revealed that taking 1,000 mg of vitamin C supplements every day for 2 months increased sperm motility by 92% and doubled the sperm count.
Exercises To Increase Sperm Count
Exercising regularly augments testosterone levels and improves sperm count. Researchers have found that running, jogging, and lifting are related to higher sperm concentrations than other types of exercise like aerobics and walking.
Cardiovascular and weight resistance exercises are most recommended for boosting fertility. Becoming physically active can go a long way in improving fertility. However, too much exercise should be avoided as it can give adverse results and reduce testosterone levels. Getting the appropriate amount of zinc can mitigate this risk.
How to Live a Healthy Life?
Numerous things can help improve fertility, but what works best depends on the cause of fertility issues. Following a healthy lifestyle can improve overall health, which in turn boosts fertility. Here are some additional tips to augment sperm count and fertility.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can damage DNA in sperm and lower sperm count. This can cause reproductive issues and lead to miscarriages. Quitting smoking can instantly improve sperm quality. For this reason, quitting smoking at least 3 months before planning a pregnancy is suggested.
- Lose extra weight: excess weight has been linked to infertility as it causes an imbalance in all the important hormones in turn affecting the quality of your erections and sperm.
- Get enough sleep: Getting adequate sleep is important in maintaining good health. Excessive or restricted sleep has also been related to poor semen quality.
- Get adequate folate: Low intake of folate can impact semen quality.
- Avoid taking too much soy: Soy is rich in isoflavones which are linked with poor semen quality.
When it comes to fertility issues, it is very important to focus on how to make your sperm stronger for pregnancy. To support good sexual health, it is important to take care of your physical, mental, and nutritional needs as they have a direct correlation with your sexual activity and sperm quality.