Cure PCOS Permanently Through Ayurveda
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal imbalance prevalent in women leading to enlarged ovaries with the presence of cysts. There has been a constant increase in the number of cases of PCOS in recent years. In India, 10% of women are impacted by PCOS. Do you know that with the help of Ayurveda, it is possible to reverse PCOS permanently?
Understanding PCOS and Its Symptoms
PCOS is a hormonal disorder that affects women of reproductive age. it is characterized by a combination of symptoms, which may vary in severity from person to person. Some common symptoms of PCOS in females are:
- Women with PCOS may have irregular or infrequent periods or may experience heavy bleeding.
- PCOS causes the development of small cysts in and around the ovaries, which can lead to discomfort and pain.
- Women with PCOS may have elevated levels of androgens (male hormones), such as testosterone, causing acne, facial hair growth, and hair loss.
- PCOS can lead to insulin resistance, which can increase the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Women with PCOS may struggle with weight gain.
- PCOS is one of the leading causes of infertility in women.
- Women with PCOS may experience skin issues such as acne, oily skin, or dark patches on the skin.
It is important to note that PCOS problem symptoms in females vary. A proper diagnosis can only be done by a healthcare professional. Right treatment helps manage symptoms and improve overall health.
Also Read: PCOS & PCOD–A Comprehensive Guide to Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment
The Principles of Ayurvedic Medicine for PCOS Management
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine to promote health and prevent disease. Ayurveda recognizes the importance of a healthy diet, regular exercise, stress management, and adequate sleep in the management of PCOS. Thus ayurvedic treatment for PCOS follows a holistic approach.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS
The first course of PCOS treatment is panchakarma. Following a thorough consultation, an Ayurvedic expert creates a customized program.
By eliminating toxins from the reproductive system, including the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and vagina, panchakarma addresses the underlying reason. virechana (therapeutic purgation), uttar vasti (uterovaginal enema), and vasti (colonic enema) are a few of the common treatments.
After the panchakarma, the female reproductive system is balanced and revitalized using specific plants and techniques. Phytoestrogen, which is abundant in ayurvedic plants, has been shown to significantly reduce insulin resistance and inflammation.
Herbs and Spices for PCOS Management: The Ayurvedic Approach
Ayurvedic treatment for PCOS recommends using various herbs and spices to help balance these doshas and cure PCOS permanently.
- Ashwagandha is known to help regulate hormonal imbalances and reduce stress levels. It is also believed to improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is believed to help reduce insulin resistance and regulate menstrual cycles in women with PCOS.
- Cinnamon is believed to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, and regulate menstrual cycles in women with PCOS.
- Licorice helps regulate hormonal imbalances, improve insulin sensitivity, and reduce inflammation in women with PCOS.
- Fenugreek seeds are believed to help regulate menstrual cycles, improve insulin sensitivity, and reduce inflammation in women with PCOS.
- Shatavari is believed to help regulate hormonal imbalances and improve fertility in women with PCOS.
These herbs and spices do not work in isolation, and as mentioned earlier, the overall treatment approach in ayurveda is holistic. Additionally, many ayurvedic medicines are also available, which have these spices as ingredients in the right proportions.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes for PCOS: An Ayurvedic Perspective
Aahar, vihaar, and chikitsa are the three pillars of Ayurveda. Aahar or diet is very important as we are what we eat. Ayurveda suggests the following to keep in mind for a diet that would support the treatment of PCOS
- Ayurveda recommends a balanced diet that includes all six tastes - sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent, and astringent. A balanced diet helps to ensure that your body receives all the necessary nutrients.
- Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and oats are rich in fibre and nutrients and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Healthy fats such as ghee, coconut oil, and olive oil can help to reduce inflammation and balance hormones.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants and nutrients and can help to reduce inflammation and regulate hormones.
- Eating at regular intervals can help to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
The Role of Yoga and Meditation in PCOS Management
Yoga and meditation are part of an ayurvedic holistic approach to managing PCOS symptoms. Yoga and meditation benefit women with PCOS in the following ways:
- Reducing Stress: Stress worsens PCOS symptoms, and practising yoga and meditation can help reduce stress levels by reducing stress hormones, such as cortisol, in the body.
- Regulating hormones: PCOS is often caused by hormonal imbalances, and certain yoga poses, such as forward bending, inversions, and twists, can help to stimulate and regulate the endocrine system.
- Improving Insulin Sensitivity: Many women with PCOS have insulin resistance, which can lead to high blood sugar levels and weight gain. Yoga and meditation have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Improving Circulation: Certain yoga poses, such as standing poses, can help to improve circulation and reduce inflammation in the body.
- Enhancing Fertility: PCOS can make it more difficult for women to conceive. Yoga and meditation can help to enhance fertility by reducing stress, balancing hormones, and improving overall health.
Some specific yoga poses beneficial for PCOS are butterfly pose, Child's pose, seated forward bend, Bridge pose, and Reclined bound angle pose.
Following an ayurvedic way of life to cure PCOS will also have a positive impact on all other aspects of your health. Moreover, the medicines which comprise herbs do not cause any other side effects. Therefore more and more people are turning towards ayurveda for good health.
Even though these are very natural cures consulting an ayurvedic doctor would help you start a treatment most suitable to you.