In the 21st century, we have moved past the doctrines which dictate that seeking sexual pleasure is a sin. For both men and women, historically, society and religions have frowned upon those who seek sexual pleasure other than for reproduction. Fortunately, modern thoughts have freed men from these limiting sexual inhibitions and superstitions.
However, in this era where porn and other explicit content are freely available on the internet for streaming, excessive masturbation has emerged as a matter of concern among young men. While seeking sexual pleasure isn't wrong, overindulgence in anything can have undesirable side effects.
What is Mastrubation?
Masturbation can be defined as self-stimulation of one's genitals to achieve sexual pleasure and reach orgasm without a partner. Masturbation is an extremely private activity that can help people explore their sexuality. Experts have repeatedly stated that masturbation is a natural process of maturing and isn't a matter of concern.
Addiction to Masturbation
While masturbation is natural, excessive dependence on it could hint at a masturbation addiction. This is because masturbation triggers the release of dopamine. Your brain releases this chemical as a reward for achieving something, such as completing a morning walk, cleaning your room, or getting a raise at work.
However, while masturbating, dopamine is released without achieving a real-life task or goal. Hence, those who are excessively stressed or depressed might start relying on masturbation to get that dopamine hit that they cannot get from their real life. In other words, masturbation could become a form of escape for them from the real world. This could start negatively impacting your life as you lose interest in achieving your goals.
Here are some other side effects one could experience as a result of over-masturbation:
- Lack of Energy: Over masturbation can result in excessive production of cortisol. This stress hormone can make a person feel languid all day.
- Genital pain or discomfort: Excessive masturbation can cause groin discomfort and pain. This is because of the reduction in the production of oxytocin and testosterone.
- Physical Pain: Due to the reduction in levels of oxytocin and testosterone, one might also start experiencing stiffness and pain in other areas, such as the lower back.
- Hairfall: Due to decreased levels of prolactin and DHEA in the body, excessive masturbation can also cause extreme hair loss.
Decreased Sexual Sensitivity
Over-masturbation or aggressive masturbation can decrease your overall sexual sensitivity. You might notice that you are unable to derive as much pleasure from sexual encounters with your partner or even masturbation as before. This is because too much masturbation can lead to overstimulation, thus decreasing sexual performance in men. Looking at masturbation as the body's natural urge rather than a form of escapism could help reduce excessive masturbation.
Can Over Masturbation Cause Prostate Cancer?
Clinical research hasn't yet been able to prove the link between masturbation and prostate cancer definitively. There are conflicting studies on this, some of which state that frequent masturbation reduces the risk of prostate cancer, and others claim that it increases the risk. Hence, it wouldn't be possible to say if there is any positive or negative impact of masturbation on prostate cancer.
Masturbation Benefits on Health:
Having discussed the possible ill effects of masturbation, one cannot deny its wide array of health benefits. Let's look at some of the masturbation benefits:
- Masturbation releases several "feel good" hormones, such as dopamine and endorphins. These can help alleviate stress and improve one's mood.
- It can help you sleep better sleep as it puts you in a calm, relaxed state.
- Masturbation can also help improve one's self-confidence
- Practicing masturbation in moderation can enhance sexual performance in men.
Masturbation isn't innately good or bad. It is a completely natural part of being a human with sexual feelings. However, as with all things, moderation is the key. In excess, it can cause masturbation problems in males and females. So long as it doesn't turn into excessive masturbation, it is safe for all adults. Keep in mind that if you feel discomfort, you should consult a physician.